Friday, February 26, 2010

PostHeaderIcon Order in the monastery

The most important regulatory exercise in the monastery is keeping the schedule of the house. Knowing myself as I do, the external structure of a constant schedule helps me stay on task and focused. Before coming here I was working as much as I could with a hap-hazard schedule, inconsistent eating times, driving long hours for tech jobs and doing whatever I could to make ends meet. Oftentimes daily duties would get set aside, prayer life and relationships would suffer and my body would take a beating. Long hours of work and no play, makes a man hasty, anxious and scattered. Now that I'm in the monastery, following a schedule of prayer, work, meals, cleaning and recreation, more gets accomplished with less stress and more regularity. I have more time to do internal reviewing too, which means looking at my weaknesses so I can grow in virtue. What a blessings! Thanks Jesus and Mary, St. Peter Nolasco and all those great prayer warriors back home and abroad who've made this happen! Hope you receive a great reward in heaven for all your support and maybe God Will let you see the fruit of your prayers soon :-) 

2 comments:

Michael said...

You know.. you are absolutely correct.. I have a total lack of initiative.. I have to be told about 5 times before I finally get something done.. however when on a schedule.. your like a train on railroad tracks.. you are going one way.. and you don't deviate from it. And not deviating form that track, actually gives you more time to enjoy your day - not less like we may think. Mom always said - I need structure in my life.. so if I ever join a religious order.. it will be the best thing that has happened to me (and her) =)

God Bless you in your journey!

Patrick said...

Not to mention I could use a granny game player or opponent to mix it up with on a regular basis.

Post a Comment

About Me

My Photo
Patrick
Mercedarian Novice, photographer, humorist, handy-man, fence-builder, prayer warrior, lover of Eucharist and Blessed Mother and Holy Mother Church.
View my complete profile

Followers