Saturday, July 10, 2010
5:41 PM | Posted by Patrick | Edit Post
Vicar Fr. Richard Rasche, O. de M. says to me, "Dear son what do you ask of us?"
I respond, "That you allow me to share in the experience of your religious life for a certain time, that you evaluate my suitability and that I may deserve to be allowed to follow Christ in the Mercedarian Order, in which I desire to be made a son of the Blessed Virgin Mary."
Vicar responds, "May the Lord help you fulfill this desire"
I answer, "Amen."
Vicar: "Dear brother what do you ask of God and His Holy Church?"
Postulant (Patrick): "Prompted by God's Mercy I wish to share your religious life; teach me to follow Christ the Redeemer and to imitate Mary, Our Mother, and Saint Peter Nolasco; to live chastity, poverty and obedience, to practice charity for the suffering, to be constant in prayer and to practice penance, to be of one heart and soul with you; help me to follow the demands of the gospel at all times. I will learn your Rule and your Constitutions and I will observe the precept of fraternal love."
Vicar: "May the Lord help you with His grace and guide you on the paths of justice and holiness.
After the readings, the superior speaks to the community and the postulant about the nature of religious life and the specific characteristics of our Order, or reads an appropriate chapter from the Rule or the Constitutions.
After that postulant approaches the vicar who confers the shield of the Order on him, saying:
Receive the shield of the Order as a sign of your being admitted to share our religious life; may the Virgin Mary, our Mother, help you with her maternal protection and may Saint Peter Nolasco, our Father, be your model and guide so that you may fully realize your desires.
- Mercedarian Novice, photographer, humorist, handy-man, fence-builder, prayer warrior, lover of Eucharist and Blessed Mother and Holy Mother Church.
- Great weather, great reading, great photography
- St. Maximus early Christian martyr
- Sunset in front of Mercygrove
- Prayers going out to all people
- First day at the nursing home
- 2 weeks
- Angels and Saints
- Rainy day at the grove
- Receiving Mercedarian practice habit for novitiate...
- Sunset sets Our Lady apart
- Front yard of Mercygrove at edge of night
- Early Mercedarian martyrs
- Simple yard shots
- Martyrdom and religious life
- The Church
- Family fun in Philly
- Day of prayer and reading
- Story of a Mercedarian Martyr
- Flowers from the novitiate
- Saturday at the novitiate
- The habit
- Running the schedule
- Feast day of Kateri Tekakwitha yesterday
- Rite of Initiation at the beginning of the Novitia...
- Sunset at Mercygrove Novitiate
- Received habit...
- Arrived at Novitiate...
- ▼ July (27)